We’re always looking for awesome ways to use turmeric in everyday meals! This week we came across this amazing Moroccan Turmeric Carrot Soup from Healthy Holisitic Living! We have to say, it tastes as awesome as it looks! Healthy Holistic Living also suggested that this recipe may assist in lowering the risk of cancer and heart disease. Find the recipe below!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped organic yellow onion
- 1 pound large organic carrots, cut in ½- inch dice (about 2 ⅔ cups)
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium organic chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 minced garlic cloves (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup sour cream, crème fraishe, or plain yogurt, optional for garnish
1. Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute for 2 minutes. Mix in carrots and broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes.
2. Stir cumin seeds in a small skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 4 – 5 minutes. Finely grind in a spice mill.
3. Remove soup from heat. Puree in batches in a blender until smooth. Return to sauce pan. Whisk in honey, lemon juice and allspice. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Ladle soup into bowl. Sprinkle with toasted cumin, or mix cumin and sour cream in a small bowl and dollop on top. Serve.
Photo and Recipe: Healthy Holistic Living