If you grew up in the 80’s you would have some bleak memories of being made to taste bitter imported carob as a healthier chocolate alternative. Well no more!! Thanks to our wonderfully passionate Carob grower Michael, we now have access to beautifully sweet, nutritious and 100% Certified USDA Organic (the hardest to obtain), GMO Free, Nut Free & Gluten FREE Australian Carob!!
"As we do the growing, harvesting, kibbling, roasting, milling and packing all on the property, we can be sure you get a non contaminated product which is Nut Free, Gluten Free and the absolute best quality carob possible. Quality is our number one priority," Michael Jolley - The Australian Carob Co.
Started 18 years ago, Michael’s thriving farm in Booborowie, South Australia has won many accolades and now proudly produces Raw Carob powder, Roasted Carob powder, Carob Kibble, Carob Syrup and Carob Buttons.
At Love Organic Living we chose their RAW Carob powder for its highly nutritious content, absolutely NO HEAT used in its processing and its beautiful caramel, malt & mild chocolate flavours.
Quick-link >> How to Make your LOL HOT Chocolate
So why did our mothers try feed us Carob. Well here are some of the fantastic proven health benefits of consuming Carob.
- Gluten FREE
- Caffeine FREE
- LOW GI
- 100% natural with no chemicals or preservatives.
- Improves digestion
- Can be used to treat diarrhoea in children and adults
- Helps with IBS as it is a rich source of insoluble fibre that also...
- Lowers cholesterol levels in the blood.
- Acts as an antioxidant.
- Contains vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, D and E and is used for the treatment of cough, flu, amemia and osteoclasis.
- Carob tannins contain gallic acid. Gallic acid is an analgesic, can be used as an anti allergic and is antibacterial. It is also an antioxidant, antiviral and antiseptic.
- It is also high in potassium and magnesium and contains iron, manganese, barium, copper and nickel.
- It is rich in phosphorus and calcium. For this reason, it is used in the fight against osteoporosis.
- Contains an active substance that is effective against asthma.
- It is a good expectorant.
- Helps soothe a sore throat and coughs.
Carob contains many health benefits, which depending on how the plant is prepared, can be used as a natural remedy for human health issues. The pod consists of three different parts; the outer husk, the nutritive endosperm and the inner seed.
According to investigated research, Carob can aid in the treatment of many health issues, such as:
According to livingstrong.com, eating carobs regularly can aid in the management of digestive health. The tannins found in carobs can increase the effectiveness of certain substances (enzymes) that help to regulate the digestion process. Additionally, carob provides powerful anti-viral benefits that supply the body with essential antioxidants. Foods rich in tannins are often recommended for treatment of diarrhea as it reduces acid production and combats related ailments.
Lowering cholesterol levels:
Due to the high percentage of insoluble fibre contained in carobs, research shows carobs have the potential to lower cholesterol levels. Carobs have naturally high levels of lignin and polyphenols, which are powerful antioxidants. According to the Prepared Foods Network, these antioxidants work by binding to stomach acids and cholesterol in order to help them pass through the body and be excreted.
Regulates blood sugar levels:
Experts say carobs contain fibre that naturally helps to regulate blood sugar levels (useful for people who suffer from diabetes). As an insoluble fibre product (which contains pinitol, a type of inositol), carob helps water bind in the digestive tract, which enhances the health of the intestinal tract and regulates blood glucose.
Weight control issues:
In a clinical trial conducted in the US, consumption of a carob pulp preparation decreased postprandial responses of acylated ghrelin, triglycerides, suggesting a change toward increased fatty acid oxidation. In other words, carob fibre might exert beneficial effects in energy intake, and thus, reduce body weight.
Osteoporosis and polio:
Carob is high in phosphorus and calcium, which means it may help in the fight against osteoporosis ailment. It has also been recommended for children who have had polio ailment, due to the high levels of calcium and gallic acid.
Common colds or influenza:
As carobs are rich in vitamin E, and full of antioxidants and phytonutrients, they have, on occasion, been suggested in aid of the treatment of anemia, coughs, osteoclasis, colds and influenza. Carobs also contain Gallic acid that provides anti-allergic, antiseptic, and anti-bacterial benefits. In some rare cases, experts have suggested carobs be used to help reduce the changes of patients with lung cancer.
- Carob Fibre lowers Cholesterol
- Cambridge Journals Online - Abstract
- CAROB: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD
- Diarrhoeal Diseases Research - Sep 1995 - Page 155
Info and images courtesy of The Australian Carob Co.